Old January 20th 06, 08:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default SSA Membership Growing

Keeping with the new SSA policy on transparency, that would be cleaning
it up at both the clubs' and Hobbs' end of the process.

Since the rebate termination decision was taken, it's become clear that
the full impact wasn't known. Since then, one club has stated that it
required SSA membership of some 60 inactive club members to retain that
inactive status. I heard about another club that might have 20-30
members in that status and I believe there may be another here in
Colorado that does the same. My club doesn't require this at present,
though it might be a good idea to do so. Indeed, I would like the SSA
Clubs & Chapters Committee to recommend this as an SSA chapter 'best
practice'.

No one knows what the impact may be should chapters decide to drop the
SSA requirement of inactive members, but it could range into the
hundreds, which would undo the efforts of the past three years pretty
quickly.

Frank Whiteley