Old May 31st 16, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Experimental question

On Saturday, May 28, 2016 at 3:55:43 PM UTC-7, Wade G wrote:
I recently bought an experimental DG-303.
I am trying to get the new op limitations done ASAP while the season is ticking away. The FAA is not at the pace of my desire to get this thing up!
My question:
I've heard that a buyer might be able to fly using the previous limitations and a/w for 30 days while waiting to get the papers updated. Is this true?

The limitations are good for the life of the sailplane..sometimes the home base may be mentioned and the practice area in the limitations for the home field in which the sailplane was original certified. Some people like the old limitations because many times they have fewer limitations, now they write limitations from a format. It is true that if your sailplane is Experimental "air racing" you need to just notify the FAA that you just bought the sailplane and where the home base of that aircraft is, Fax in a letter saying where you intend to fly for the year, or if you are going some place that is not on your original letter just Fax in a new letter, no response is necessary from the FAA. Remember that the airworthiness is invalid if the operating limitation are not attached. You must notify the FAA in 30 days of the new location of the aircraft, no need for new limitations unless you want but remember the FAA likes to do as little as possible, you also may be able to find a DAR to help you out.