Old August 1st 07, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mmartin via AviationKB.com

Default installing mylar

JJ
Thanks for the advice. I will be taking on this project this week. Also,
Awhile back there was a thread regarding the LS3 and landing gear. You had
mentioned about testing the gear gas spring by pushing on the overcenter lock.
I could have retracted the gear and there was no snap back to the down
position. Your advice saved me from the gear eventualy retracting on roll
out.
Thanks
Mike

John Sinclair wrote:
Most owners can do a credible job of installing mylar
if they follow the rules:
1. Remove all gunk with acetone and elbow grease.
2. Sand the new mylar (just the 10mm that will be sttached)
and the corresponding area on the wing with 220 dry.
3. Clean wing with acetone and apply the double-back-sticky,
making sure to follow the edge and keep it straight!
4. Clean the mylar with acetone and follow the edge
of the sticky very closely (don't make any abrupt corrections
or you will form a kink) Keep tention on the mylar
as you remove about 24' on protectice covering from
the sticky, as you work along. I work from left to
right, always!
5. Force Mylar down by running over it with a small
roller, I use a small roller bearing on a stick.
6. Clean with acetone and apply the transition tape
(I use 20mm)
NOTE, be sure to use mlar that is wide enough to cover
all hinge recesses, but don't go any wider than necessary
or stick forces will increase. Hinge recesses can be
covered separately with small pieces of plastic (mylar)
held down with sticky, then covered with wide tape.
Ideally, movement of the control should not lift the
mylar.
Have fun,
JJ

At 17:42 29 July 2007, Mmartin Via Aviationkb.Com wrote:
I've read all the posts, several times, regarding mylar
seal replacemate. My

[quoted text clipped - 7 lines]

mmartin