Old February 22nd 04, 06:06 AM
Richard Lamb

Badwater Bill wrote:

Nice job Richard. Nice Job.

Thank you sir!

I've heard or read that reasonable limits are about
750 feet per second for wood props
and 800, or a little more for metal props.

However...

I've seen 3000 rpm static on my engine and prop (62x29 Tennessee).
That's 811 fps tip speed! Static?
(And yes, she sings a bit at full throttle)

That could come up another couple hundred rpm at higher speed.
But 3200 rpm = 865 fps?
Holy cow!

Not bad for 40 hp, huh.

Cruise at 2800 rpm gives a stately 757 fps at 75 mph.
Fuel burn looks like just over 3 gallons per hour.

Giving credit where credit is due.
This engine was built by my neighbor, Oscar the Grouch.

Oscar is a retired police officer, and life long racing addict.

Oscar gives good motor.

He has three VW powered airplanes of his own.

His wife's "car" is a 1960's slingshot dragster with a small
block Chevy. Hand formed gloss black and gold(leaf!) aluminum body.

Grandma turns 8.80 and 152 mph in the quarter mile.

And!
Just in case the skeptics in the audience disbelieve?

I believe our (Zuehl) spring fly-in will be in May this year.
Drop in and see for yourself...

Richard