Old May 8th 08, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
brianDG303

Default Which PDA ?

One report on the SeeYou forum indicates the 3950 to be brighter than
the 4700. I'll compare my 3950 to Noels 4700 sometime.

None of those fancy panels will fit in my DG303 panel. So, the cost is
the screen, the bigger battery, a new panel, and perhaps a smaller
instrument or two. The alternative is to fly with a PDA, with map and
terrain turned off and 4 large NAV boxes. That is easy to see and use.
I'm not clear on what the new screens will add to my flying other than
the very sexy screen itself.

Something I've noticed is that the screens can be hard to read in
bright sunlight with dark gray sunglasses and much easier with those
amber sunglasses.

I am thinking of upgrading my PDA for my GNII.
The display should be readable in sun light. Presently I use a1550 as
primary with a 302 and the 39xx as a back up with a 302A. Maybe I
should get a CAI Nav display and one good PDA.

Craggy Aero is also developing an instrument. Craggy Ultimate - Screen
Size 6.5 diagonal, sunlight viewable screen, with a backlight
controlled by potentiometer or photo sensor, VGA 680X420 twice the
screen resolution as the ClearNav.