Old January 3rd 08, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning, rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.student

Default flaps again

On Dec 31 2007, 2:39*pm, B A R R Y wrote:
Vaughn Simon wrote:
"WingFlaps" wrote in message
news:2a8f80a4-d43b-4daf-b9c8- Don't you have to demonstrate flapless, short
field and normal
landings as part of you certificate?

* *Not flapless.

I had to.

Even if you don't have to demonstrate it, you ought to have been
trained in how to do it.

I was wondering: in the aircraft of the OP, do the flaps not make a
noise when deploying? After reading the post, I realized that I have
typically relied on three things to know the flaps are down: the sound
of them deploying, the change in pitch that comes with flap
deployment, and, as I get out toward turning base, I'm looking back to
check my position in relation to the numbers. When I do that I see the
flaps down.

That should also work with most low wings, no? I guess there might be
some flap designs where you couldn't see that on small GA aircraft.

Thanks for the post as it makes me realize I have not paid enough
attention to this critical operation. Since flaps have always deployed
when I asked them to, I haven't thought about double checking. Far
from calling the OP guy a moron, I got to thank him for raising my
awareness on this.

Piloting is complex, and as Bertie points out, we all f0k up. On my
checkride what the examiner was looking for was: identify the error
and correct.