Old September 9th 03, 10:23 PM
Marco Leon

It sounds like you took my post as a direct stab against your instructional
abilities. Although I find it hard to see how, that was not my intent and I
apologize if anyone else took it that way.

I was reacting to your statement in your original post and I quote, "Do
business with the people who need to be insurance qualified for the aircraft
they purchased, initial and every 6 month currency."

The key word there is "need." So let me restate my post as a question. Are
there really avionics suites that require 5-day software-only recurrency
training every six months by an insurance company? There, is that better?

Out of curiosity, how long is your recommended syllabus for someone with a
basic Garmin GNS 430/530 setup? If you tell me that it's the 5-day
recurrency training every six months and that you are getting that on a
regular basis then I'm scheduling my CFI training tomorrow. And I'm being
serious too.

I've paid for instructors for many hours beyond both my private ticket and
instrument rating so I know and appreciate the value of proficiency
training. I can easily see how someone can spend 10 days for initial
training in a new model like the TBM700.

I've also read the FAA study you refer to and I *do* agree with it for the
most part (I don't even own an SR-22). However, If my insurance company
turns around and tells me tomorrow that I need to go for a five-day GPS
training course every 6 months before they'll insure me, then I would cry
foul. I think most IFR GPS owners in this group would. If they required only
that I take an initial training certification class in my type, then I can
see their point. I think I'm a reasonable guy in that respect. Of course
this is a slippery slope favoring the insurance companies but that's a
different thread.

For the sake of General Aviation, I hope you can make a decent living doing
what you do. I'm a bit envious actually. Good luck.

Regards,

Marco

"paul k. sanchez" wrote in message
You mean after the initial "software" training, they need an additional 3

full
days every 6 months for recurrency?? For the $4200/year I sure hope you're
talking about training for the Collins ProLine bizjet gadgets and not the
Garmin 430...

Good evening Marco:
If you were to purchase an $1.6m aircraft such as the meridian, or a $2.6m

such
as the TBM700, and you had the financial resources not to need insurance
coverage, then I would very much agree with you that you have no need of

my
services.

As long as insurance underwriters are very skitish about hull values of

$500k
or more, there will be initial and recurrency training requirements for

the
policy to be effective. The insurance underwriters choose which training
programs they approve, the client choose which one he will get the

training at.

If you object to my syllabus having 5 days to be proficient in the

software, or
even the 10 days for initial training in the make/model you are of course
welcome not to use my services and even publish your dismay about my rates

as
much as you like.

I sincerely hope that you have found a training environment that meets

yours
and your underwriter's needs.

Perhaps you might take the time to read the 22 august 2003 FAA safety

study of
what they call "Technicaly Advanced Aircraft". The safety study looked at

11
accidents with the SR20 and SR22. 10 out of 11 were found to have pilot
deficiencies in the software and aircraft. Interestingly this pretty much

is
contrary to your opinion but perhaps you do not own an SR20 or SR22.

But of course this is only my opinion and my clients tend to agree with

me. And
at my rate of $700/day I am not going to hold my breath waiting for your

call.

Fly safe by knowing what safe is.

paul k. sanchez, cfii-mei
on eagles' wings