Old October 17th 08, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
John[_9_]

Default Anyone doing a recovering project?

On Oct 12, 11:51*am, "Peter Dohm" wrote:
"Stealth Pilot" wrote in message

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 03:30:59 -0700 (PDT), Lou
wrote:

On Oct 10, 9:28 am, "Mike" nospam@ microsoft.com wrote:
"Lou" wrote in message

Depending on where you live EAA may have a workshop in your area from
time
to time on the subject and they also do those workshops at Oshkosh..
think
it costs a little north of $200, but it is well worth it.

Thanks Mike, but thats not why I'm looking for it. I want to see and
feel
the texture and the underside, the weight and flexibility. I want to
study
an already used piece.
* * * * *Lou

If that's the case, then you should still check with your local EAA
chapter.
There will almost certainly be one or more members with some left over
material.

I have, It seems that nobody is recovering these days.
* * * *Lou

that is actually a common issue with Stits (polyfiber)
when I bought the tailwind I thought maybe 5 years and it would need
replacing.
9 years on I can discern no deterioration.

Stealth Pilot

I haven't heard much about it lately, possibly because I haven't been
hanging around in the right places, but I can recall a lot of concern
expressed years ago about structural deterioration hidden under the newer
and more durable fabrics. *As I recall, the theory was that the need to
recover was also an opportunity to thoroughly inspect the underlying
structure and the newer fabrics drastically extended the time interval. *The
question was whether the extended time might be excessive...

Peter- Hide quoted text -

I have wondered about that too. There were issues with the Citabria/
Decathlon aircraft with wooden wings some years ago. The current
factory changed to metal wings as a result. (I wonder about fatigue
in a few years unless the wings are life limited.) Another thing I
have noticed is that most fabric covered aircraft I have seen in
recent years, (Pitts, Decathlon) have never had the inspection rings
cut open. I was taught in A&P school that you left them covered only
till the first annual. Otherwise you could not properly inspect the
wings. I saw a Decathlon that was at least 15 years old that had
never had the panels opened. The owner mentioned that the little
covers tended to come off during aerobatics but I know I wouldn't
annual a fabric covered aircraft unless all the rings were in place
per the parts or maintenance manual and that I could open them all for
a proper inspection. I suppose that Decathlon mechanics could use
other means to inspect the wings, i.e. borescope but I have never
confirmed that.

John Dupre'