Old November 18th 10, 03:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony V

Default Future Club Training Gliders

http://www.soaringchapters.org/world_report/

I am very surprised at the extremely low number of add-on glider
ratings. Can this be right? Last year, only 10 power pilots added on a
glider rating in the entire US?

If that's true, then we should be doing a serious marketing campaign
aimed at power pilots who have let their medicals lapse. That's the
really low hanging fruit.

Low hanging fruit? Perhaps not. I knew a fellow a fellow software
engineer (owned an Aztec), that was about to ditch a 6 figure software
career to fly commuters for peanuts because he "just loved to fly" (his
words). When i mentioned soaring to him, he just shook his head. It
either rings your chimes or it doesn't - and flying one thing does not
automatically translate into wanting to fly something else.

Hang gliding is a lot more accessible now since there is a lot more aero
towing. The funny thing is that when I mention hang gliding to sail
plane pilots, they shake their heads the same way.

Tony