Old November 24th 10, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Johan Nykvist

Default Future Club Training Gliders

At 09:10 24 November 2010, Bruce Hoult wrote:
On Nov 24, 1:18=A0pm, Johan Nykvist wrote:
In my oppinion, Duo, DG 500, DG1000 (a beast to ground handle) ect
are not primary trainers. Not rugged enough..

What do you base this on?

We just moved from Twin Astirs to DG1000s. I can't see any way in
which a fixed gear DG1000 Club is more of a beast to ground handle
than a Twin Astir! In particular, lifting the tail to put the dolly on
is considerably lighter.

That this is so should be fairly obvious from the fact that a properly
ballasted DG1000 Club is very nearly balanced on the main wheel and
may sit on either the nose wheel or the tail wheel.

Lacking nose wheels, and not wanting the nose to come into contact
with the ground either at rest or when using the wheel brake, the main
wheel on the Twin Astir is considerably further forward than it is on
a 3-wheel undercarriage glider such as the ASK-21, Twin II/III, or
DG1000 Club. The same is also true of the non-Club version of the
DG1000 -- the retractable wheel is very far forward and there is a lot
of weight on the tail.

Perhaps you are not distinguishing between the (cheaper) Club and
standard versions of the DG1000?

Here's what I'm talking about:

http://is.gd/hGLKd

I'm also not sure where you get the "Not rugged enough" opinion. They
seem to be very well built.

Oh, Im sorry!
I didnt think of the club version. My experience is from
DG1000T. Its retractble landingear is hard work to operate. Also im not
sure its rugged enough for longterm abuse from learners
somtimes hard landings...well, some experineced pilots too! =)
Not to mention the electrical gear..

Personally I think all of them is great gliders. But maby not for basic
training. I ofcoarse can be wrong. My main point is they might be a to
tricky to for beginners (to hard learning curve) to
maintain correct airspeed at landings ect. Due to the higher performance,
its accelerates very quickly when lowering the attitude.

Is my personal oppinion. Sorry for not being clear enogh.

The perfect world, I think, would be ASK 21 for basic training and
a DuoT, DG1000T or ArcusT for the more advanced training.

Nice ship on the link!! =)