Old August 22nd 15, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Default FLARM in Stealth Mode at US 15M/Standard Nationals - Loved It!

On Friday, August 21, 2015 at 9:34:28 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Time for a bit of tough love:

Anyone that knowingly or willingly disables or permits to be disabled, diminishes or otherwise attenuates the function of a Flarm device should be tarred, feathered and excommunicated from the sport. I don't want to be in the same sky as you and your greedy, self-centred use of an aid to collision avoidance. As leeching doesn't impede the sports worst nor best (performance wise), I view you as being in the middle of the pack. Frustrated by your own inadequacies you jealously guard your position under the misguided notion that the world wants to steal your performance from you. Newsflash: you aren't as good as you think you are and your performance isn't a magic bullet for your competitors. As it takes two hands to clap (two gliders to splinter?) your selfishness could have very morbid consequences. How about we intermittently fiddle with your ripcord?

I compete for fun so I'm not going to pretend I'm as performance-orientated as some of the other posters within this topic. I reconcile my performance at the end of the day with one person - me. I can't do that if I've followed someone else around the sky.

CJ

And for the record, I'm:
Anti leaching
Anti team flying (unless specifically permitted)
Pro Flarm

'I compete for fun' - That right there is your problem.

When winning becomes more important than competing, all kinds of weird things happen. I will note that I just discussed this with three recent national champions, none of them were particularly concerned about Flarm or leeching.