Old December 14th 15, 08:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kilo-Bravo

Default Volocopter - safest aircraft in the world

Thanks to all of you, supporting what I wrote before and clarified some of the special "chopper-questions". Looks like my english actually is worse than I thought it would be, so not everybody seem to understand what I try to say.

Anyway, who ever has visited the website of e-volo, he should have found at first page the title "Safety first". Clicking at that link, you get a nice picture of the activation-handle for the BRS, as well as a brief description when to use it.
http://www.volocopter.com/index.php/en/safe-en

At this link on YouTube, you get a video showing the first test-shootout of the system.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lffpmcuuOPE

And yes, the chute did NOT deploy at this situation, as the craft is static at the ground, no horizontal nor vertical speed, so no air to do the job inflating the chute of course.
In reality, I could only think about two situations, when a helicopter has no vertical or horizontal speed:

1.) the pilot hovers the craft safely somewhere above the ground in any hight,
sure no vertical and no horizontal speed and of course no need to activate thes BRS.

2.) pilot is not hovering safely in the air and again no horizontal nor any
vertical speed - pilot missed the right moment to activate the BRS ......

After all, the VC200 you see at the e-volo website is just the prototype as stated in my article. It has not been operated with occupants in the cockpit but with adequate ballast. As its preliminary permission by Federal Administration (LBA) allows remote controlled and unmanned test-flights only, until its safe operation is finally proofed and the test-program is completed. After that, they sure get full test-permission by the Authority to be operated with occupants on board the craft.

IŽll follow up the further progress of development and report any news at my website (http://ul-segelflug.de/blog.html), so please feel free to visit my site at any time.

Best regards from Germany,
wishing you all and your family-members a nice Christmas-time and a happy, safe and healthy 2016.

Klaus