Old March 25th 08, 07:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Eamon McKinley

Default Unusual attitude recovery advice sought

Hello everyone,

I'm about a week away from taking my instrument checkride, but I'm
lacking in one area I thought would be a breeze. After spending months
practicing holds, approaches & arcs I was double-checking the PTS and
realised that we had not practised unusual attitudes. My CFII told me
they would be no problem and we would cover them before the checkride.
Well, a few days ago we attempted a couple and I totally blew it.
Basically I became so disoriented and uncomfortable during the setup,
I was unable to cope. In each case it was a negatives that got me.

Because I was still suffering the residual effects of the flu we
decided to wait and try them again. After easing me into the saddle
with a gentle setup I made a good recovery. Unfortunately he gave me
some more negative G's on the next one and I couldn't handle it- I
grunted and reached out for the controls before he said "recover".

On the ground we discussed the situation and my CFII told me that he
likes to be aggressive with the unusual attitudes in order that I can
handle the worst cases. He also said the CE he uses likes to do the
same. Rather than cancel the checkride, his recommendation was that
one of us briefs the DE that I have low negative G tolerance. I don't
know how I feel about this, it seems like a cop-out to be quite
honest.

Thoughts & advice would be very much appreciated.