Old March 25th 08, 11:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting

Default Unusual attitude recovery advice sought

On Mar 25, 3:07*pm, Eamon McKinley wrote:
Unfortunately he gave me
some more negative G's on the next one and I couldn't handle it- I
grunted and reached out for the controls before he said "recover".

On the ground we discussed the situation and my CFII told me that he
likes to be aggressive with the unusual attitudes in order that I can
handle the worst cases. He also said the CE he uses likes to do the
same. Rather than cancel the checkride, his recommendation was that
one of us briefs the DE that I have low negative G tolerance. I don't
know how I feel about this, it seems like a cop-out to be quite
honest.

Interesting question. Being able to handle the worst is certainly a
good idea. On the other hand, nothing in the instrument PTS requires
enduring negative Gs; I don't think my instructors used anything more
aggressive than lazy 8s or chandelles to set up unusual attitudes.

If you're going to ask the DE to avoid negative Gs, I'd suggest doing
so well before the day of the practical test. That way, if the DE
isn't going to grant your request, you can find that out before you're
committed to pay for the checkride.