Old May 1st 04, 04:10 PM
Jukka O. Kauppinen

For example the Stuvi sights used in Ju-87s and Ju-88s were highly
advanced, computerized sights for their day.

Did they ever bomb from 25,000 feet?

A few Arado 234B Jet bombers made attacks from 10,000 meters using the
Lotfe 7E conected aircraft conected to the Patin autopilot.

Stuvi was a dive bombing sight, which the Ju87-88 pilots claimed was
capable of placing the bombs exactly to the wanted spot, within few
meters accuracy.

The largest use of the Lofte and other level bombing sights on high
altitude bombing that I can imagine right now would be the Heinkel 177
raids on eastern front. The attacks on London during '44 were made in
glide I think.

I don't have the 177 resources at hand right now, but my understanding
is that these attacks, for example the destruction of Velikiye Luki
supply depots, were highly effective high altitude level bombing raids.
What altitude exactly, that I don't know, but far higher than the
general combat altitude in the eastern front, as the intercepting Soviet
pilots were reported to be having trouble reaching the Heinkels.

jok