Old May 23rd 08, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Sarangan

Default Air Carriers and Biz-jets Target GA Recreational Fliers

On May 22, 6:00 pm, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote:
"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message

No argument here. ATC was created primarily to increase the safety of
airline travel, after some spectacular mid-airs in the early years.

Such as? I can think of only one rather non-spectacular mid-air collision
of airliners prior to the creation of ATC.

Perhaps I should have said "ATC was expanded primarily to increase the
safety of airline travel". Notable accidents that created public
outcry to empower ATC we
DC7 and Constellation in 1956 over Grand Canyon
DC8 and Constellation in 1960 over New York

I don't think it is a coincidence that every class B or C airspace is
located at airports that primarily serve airline traffic. Class D
tower is the highest I've seen at GA airports, and even there it
appears to be mostly due to historic reasons (ie it used to be a
military field or used to have airline traffic some time in the past).
Some airports operate their class D tower only when scheduled airlines
are expected to arrive and depart.