Old May 23rd 08, 03:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

Default Air Carriers and Biz-jets Target GA Recreational Fliers

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message

No argument here. ATC was created primarily to increase the safety
of airline travel, after some spectacular mid-airs in the early
years.

Such as? I can think of only one rather non-spectacular mid-air
collision of airliners prior to the creation of ATC.

Perhaps I should have said "ATC was expanded primarily to increase the
safety of airline travel". Notable accidents that created public
outcry to empower ATC we
DC7 and Constellation in 1956 over Grand Canyon
DC8 and Constellation in 1960 over New York

ATC was created primarily to increase the safety of airline travel, but it
was created some twenty years before the Grand Canyon midair.

I don't think it is a coincidence that every class B or C airspace is
located at airports that primarily serve airline traffic.

There is Class C airspace at fields that serve exclusively military traffic.