Old February 22nd 06, 02:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Dead DG

Denny,
You're fighting a losing battle my friend. I was also taught the
critical basic instruments as you've pointed out, however a great many
of today's pilots place tremendous faith in their electronics. Dead
reckoning seems to be a lot art, which may be a good thing considering
the airspace we live in today.

I'm with you on the criticality of the compass, and I also seem
to remember that it used to be part of the minimum equipment list but
the DG wasn't. That used to be a question asked on the CFII oral years
ago.

But times have changed so we have to understand the new
environments.