Old November 11th 04, 04:26 PM
Michael

(Robert M. Gary) wrote
The local news is reporting that a local CFI (with over 30,000 hours
of instruction giving since the early 1960's) ran out of gas just
short of the airport after picking up a P210 and flying back from
Texas to California. Boy, if it can happen to him, it can happen to
anyone. It will be interesting to see the final facts. Perhaps the
plane was burning way more gas than it should have (the plane had been
bought that day).

I know a few people who have had engine stoppage occur due to excess
air in the fuel lines Interestingly, none of them simply forgot
and overflew their range.

One had a carburetor leaking fuel, thus dramatically increasing
consumption. He had paidto have it overhauled, but when it was torn
apart there wasn't a single part in there that was correct for make
and model AND within specs. NTSB called it pilot error.

One had fuel siphoned (stolen) from his tanks. Fortunately he ran a
tank dry way early, switched to another tank, and landed short.

I've had my airplane misfueled due to a slope. As above - I ran a
tank dry, unexpectedly, switched to another tank and landed short.

Note that if either of us had been running on 'both' there would have
been an accident.

The reality is that we have a dumb way of dealing with fuel. We use
the clock. It's dumb because it assumes we know the fuel burn and
that nothing is leaking. Too many assumptions, too easy to go wrong.
What we need are accurate fuel gauges that are cheap enough to make
retrofits sensible. As long as they have to be FAA certified, that
won't happen.

Michael