Old December 10th 11, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vaughn[_3_]

Default More on AF 447

"Tony" wrote in message
On Dec 8, 6:13 pm, Martin Gregorie
wrote:
... I have seen it written that
many GA pilots are being taught that the way to recover from a stall is
"open the throttle and pull the stick back to maintain altitude". Didn't
work this time!

in the US, I have never ever heard of stall recovery being taught this
way in airplanes.

I must have missed that lesson. Actually, GA pilots are taught to lower the
nose while simultaneously adding power. You don't try to climb until you have
recovered flying speed.

My first few hundred hours of flight time was in gliders. When I finally
decided to get my PPL in airplanes, my instructors found it very annoying that I
would recover from a stall by simply lowering the nose (consistently forgetting
to add power). I even did it once on my check ride! Something learned so well
that it is totally instinctive is very difficult to "unlearn".

Vaughn