Old April 23rd 04, 09:55 PM
Brian Sponcil

I have a '75 151 with similar problems. Basically my Ammeter reads normally
(10 amps) while on the ground and through run-up. However once I'm in the
air for a little while it drops to zero and no amount of cycling the alt
switch fixes it. I replaced the voltage regulator but the only effect I saw
from that was a "calming" of the Ammeter needle. I suppose that was worth
$100 ;-) Anyway, I suspect that the Chrysler alternator, a rebuilt unit
installed at the last annual, is the culprit. I'm having the A&P look at it
monday so I'll get back to you with the verdict.

As an aside, while researching the alternator circuit I discovered that
you're not supposed to have the alt switch turned on until the plane is
running. I guess the starter draws 2-3 hundred amps off the battery during
startup which the voltage regulator tries to compensate for thus
unnecessarily stressing the alternator. Or so I read. Anyway, I thought
I'd pass that along....

-Brian
Iowa City, IA

"Tom Jackson" wrote in message
The plane is a 1974 Piper Warrior - 151.

Any thoughts? Was it merely a failsafe due to too much current being

drawn
from the lap-top? Should I have it looked at?

Thanks