Old April 24th 04, 02:51 AM
Mike Noel

For what it is worth, my alternator started going off-line regularly after
months of perfect operation. With some investigation I realized the trouble
started when I 'rediscovered' the electric trim on my 74 Archer. Even
though the trim would move OK with no noticeable deflection of the ammeter,
after a while I would look down and see no output from the alternator.
Cycling the alternator field rocker would put it back on-line. Not sure
what the problem is with the trim circuit since the trim wheel doesn't seem
to have too much friction, but now I trim manually and will eventually
investigate the wiring and motor.

--
Regards,
Mike

http://mywebpage.netscape.com/amountainaero/fspic1.html
"Tom Jackson" wrote in message
The other day, I was flying and noticed that my ammeter guage was reading

0
(it had been reading fine for a long portion of the flight.) Also, I had
been running a lap-top from the cigar lighter plug for the first time

ever.
I turned-off virtually all electric devices and continued to my

destination.
I also shut-off the alternator switch. Later in the flight, I tried
recycling the alternator switch, and the guage would read full deflection,
so I then would shut the alternator switch off again.

Later in the day, I fired-up the plane - could tell that the battery was
weak because it could hardly pull the prop through. The ammeter guage,
however seemed to look ok - appeared to be charging the battery. I

figured
that somehow it had recycled itself, so I took off and headed home without
incident (I watched the ammeter guage very closely throughout the flight,
and it appeared normal throughout.)

The plane is a 1974 Piper Warrior - 151.

Any thoughts? Was it merely a failsafe due to too much current being

drawn
from the lap-top? Should I have it looked at?

Thanks