Old May 24th 04, 04:25 PM
Janos Bauer

I have to admit that I often exchange mails with one of the guys who
initiated the mentioned proposal. I helped him to find&contact our
national representative, so I know about their discussion. Our
representative simple doesn't like this idea, that's all, there was no
explanation...
Sorry to say, but I often feel that most of the persons who were
involved in this decision are not really aware of the technical
background. They are often just afraid of cheating but has no any idea
how does an IGC logger works and what would be the difference if it's
just a black box GPS. They just trust on those professional boxes
created for world records...
90% of the OOs doesn't even know what should be checked on a logger
(pilot name, glider identifier&type). It was more than 10 years when I
saw the last sealed camera or barograph! I even did my approved diamond
distance with an unsealed camera&barograph... So what can we lose with
this modification?
More than a year ago Mark Hawkins (soaringpilot designer) asked for
any cheating solutions for his palm based logger, but there was no any
suggestion I'm aware of. For me it's hard to imagine to create any
system that could do that for the reasonable price (is it really worth
to create such a device or cheaper to rent a discus2 and run a 500k on
an average day?).
Just imagine that you should create an IGC file representing the same
data what the barograph logged and in the same time this should meet
with your take-off and landing time, round all the turnpoints, have the
same wind, present it to the OO at landing.

/Janos

Eric Greenwell wrote:

Janos Bauer wrote:

Tim Newport-Peace wrote:

Of the 31 delegates, only One voted in favour of COTS, so the motion was
defeated.

It would be useful to know why... Maybe those who spent their free
time on this proposal, could improve it a bit and one day lot of
glider pilots could benefit from a positive decision.
As I see a GPS+barogpraph could be equal to photo+barograph, at least
for badges.

You should be able to contact your representative to the IGC and discuss
it with him. At the very least, he should be able to direct you to a
knowledgeable person that was there. A phone call often gets information
that doesn't make it into meeting minutes, or even an email exchange.