Old March 4th 21, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default $1 billion BMS Ooops...

On Thu, 04 Mar 2021 14:27:53 -0700, Dan Marotta wrote:

9,000 RPM makes quite a racket, no matter the muffler. Have a good
noise canceling headset...

Yeah, I know - the engine I took weight and power numbers was a 20cc RC
aircraft engine, while I was iriginally thinking of thre 20cc petrol
engines you used to see on small chainsaws and big drills.

But, add a bit of weight and bulk for water cooling and put it in a sound-
absorbing box with the motor/generator combo sat on rubber mounts and I
think you cound reduce the sound level quite a lot.

But, the main poing of my piece was to show just how light and relatively
fuel efficient such a small generator set would be compared with an
battery of equivalent capacity.

A litre of gas or diesel fuel weighs 800g and has an energy capacity of
9.7 kWh.

Totally OTT: As an ex-free flight model flyer, I think the finest engine
sound I've ever heard was a 1cc Cyclon-06 glow motor with an open exhaust
spinning a 7" x 4" prop at 30,500 rpm on 25% nitro fuel mix.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org