Old September 29th 03, 05:02 PM
Aarfy

I'd look at my GNS430 and start descending to 1400' at CARRO or 10nm from
the NDB.

My read of the plate says that on the approach course you need to be at
1900' 10nm from the NDB. If you don't have an approach-ready GPS then I
guess there's 2 ways to go:

1. Calculate/estimate your ground speed, and use a timer to figure out when
you've traveled 4nm to be within 10nm, begin descent to 1400'.
2. Ask ATC to give you a heads-up when you're 10nm out, begin descent to
1400'.

Then again, maybe I'm reading the plate wrong.....

"endre" wrote in message
om...
I did my instrument checkride the other day and passed...

Question for this group.

I was being radar vectored for the SHN NDB approach. I was cleared in
the following way: Cessna 61786 14 miles from NDB descend and maintain
2000 until established.

The problem: I was outside the 10 mile ring on the plate, established
on the inbound course, no way to tell when I would be inside 10 mile.
However, I would need to descend to 1400 before the NDB to have a
chance to descend to MDA of 900.

What would you all do?

Endre