Old February 20th 06, 01:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Default Red Pheonix- A Couple Of Reality Checks

Experimented with 'night' acm in the F4 sim with a sim instructor WSO
running the 'MiG' built into the system's bag of tricks. Used violent
3D maneuvering to pick up te target on radar and 'kill' it with
missiles. Running a plot in my head enabled me to maneuver around after
the 'MiG'. As for strafing SAM sites, been there, done that. M61 does
good work against SA2 radar vans.
Walt BJ

Was it a 1 v. 1 Walt? I suspect that with radar, a simluated 1 v. 1 is
possible at night (and intercepts at night should be relatively easy with
radar). But what about 2 v. 2 and up?

As for strafing, were you running a Weasel mission (in an F4?)? Were there
flak traps around the SA2 site? Would you consider doing it against a more
modern, more agile missile system (2nd or 3rd generation)? I seem to
vaguely recall the Israeli's trying that in '72 and getting spanked by the
SA-6 and associated -7 systems.

Thanks for the answers.