Old June 22nd 06, 08:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default What FARs cover R/C drones?

See: http://www.modelaircraft.org/PDF-files/105.pdf for a non-legal definition.

FAA:
http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/1acfc3f689769a56862569e70077c9cc/$FILE/ATTBJMAC/ac91-57.pdf

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message ...
"Randy Aldous" wrote in message ups.com...
So what are FARs cover R/C aircraft (is there a weight or size threshold)?
Also, what FARs would cover autonomous (robot controlled) aircraft?

A Google search, using "FAA radio-control aircraft" and "FAA UAV vs
model aircraft" as the criteria, came up with the following.... from
what I have read, the FAA has some legitimate concerns about UAV
operations, especially in busy airspace

IMHO, the FAA has a legitimate concern regarding UAV use *anywhere* within the US, busy airspace or not. They have
indicated as much in imposing TFRs for the purpose of operating UAVs along the southern border (even if that is a
less-than-satisfactory solution).

[...]
"A private citizen can go to the store and buy one of those model
airplanes and fly them around. But because we're doing it as a public
service, we have to deal with the FAA?" said Sheriff's Cmdr. Sid Heal."
- The Sheriff's Cmdr. apparently doesn't understand the difference
between the RC Models and a UAV.

Well, to be fair, even looking at the links you offered, it seems he's not alone. I'm a bit surprised that there
doesn't appear to be anything in the FARs that at least provides an exception from the FARs for the operation of
radio-controlled models, but perhaps that's implied by some broader exception I didn't notice.

That said, it does seem to me that there's an obvious difference between what is considered a UAV (as used by law
enforcement, for example) and a radio-controlled model. Even ignoring the usual difference in size and flight
altitude (which we may as well, since those are not absolutes even for model airplanes), the primary difference is
that radio-controlled models are always flown in direct sight, under direct control of the operator. And if they
weren't, I would say that would put them squarely into the UAV category, and subject to the same FAA oversight.

I do find it interesting that the rcgroups.com thread seems to be focusing somewhat on the commercial vs recreational
aspects:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/archi.../t-358461.html

While I wouldn't be completely surprised if the FAA chose that route to differentiation, I think it would make more
sense to focus on the size of the aircraft and degree of operator involvement. Of most concern is an operator who is
not in the immediate area, looking directly at the aircraft and the airspace around it.

In this respect, Cmdr. Sid Heal does seem to miss the point in thinking that his law enforcement craft are somehow
equivalent to radio-controlled model airplanes. But it would be nice if the written law were a bit more clear on the
matter, so that people who don't see these obvious differences can be referred to a document that gives them something
to consider.

Pete