Old September 28th 15, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Default Advertising for tow pilots

A slightly different perspective:

We (SLSA) seem to have no problem finding tailwheel-endorsed pilots, and all but two of our 14-odd (no pun intended!) tow pilots are also glider pilots. We have 2 Pawnees and a 180 Supercub, as well as a Cessna 120 for tailwheel checkouts and plain old fun flying (at $50/hr wet...).

We own our grass glider field and pride ouselves on being a tailwheel-friendly airport - to the point of joking about charging a landing fee to any nose-dragger that drops in (unless he can land backwards...) - as we also have a privately owned J-3, RV-6, and Pacer based on the field, with a J-4 being rebuilt as a winter project; recent visitors include a Stearman, Pitts S-1C, Champ, Decathelon, a tricked out Supercub, and a turbine Air Tractor that stopped in one morning low on fuel. We almost put a tow hook on him!

Personally, if a pilot can't make the effort to get his tailwheel and high-power endorsement, along with a glider rating, I'm not sure we want him towing for us! Our tow pilots are not building time, or getting any pay or breaks in club fees - they do it for the fun of it. And we like it that way.

Tow with a 182? Why bother! Real airplanes have sticks and the small wheel at the back!

Cheers,

Kirk
66
Happy Pawnee driver...