Old April 14th 09, 07:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Stiff rudder

On Apr 14, 2:03*pm, Steve Freeman wrote:
On Apr 14, 11:17*am, Mike the Strike wrote:

On Apr 14, 7:29*am, wrote:

On Apr 14, 9:06*am, Mike the Strike wrote:

On Apr 14, 6:49*am, Steve Freeman wrote:

My SZD 55 has a very stiff rudder. When the cables are disconnected it
moves easily. One suggestion has been that maybe the tubes the cables
ride in are full of dirt and contaminants and that cleaning them will
solve the problem. I remembered reading about someone replacing their
cables with a smaller diameter cable but could not find anything in
the archives. Anyone have any experience with this type of problem?

Years ago, when I had a Jantar 1, I accidentally drove a screw through
the rudder cable tube in the cockpit when installing a microphone. *We
removed the rudder cables to check for damage and found I had severed
several strands. *More interesting, we also found that the factory had
done the same thing *and I'd been flying with several strands missing.

I suggest that you remove the cables and check for damage. *If the
tube isn't damaged, it might be pinched. *I believe mine is not the
only report of this problem.

Mike

You should be able to determine if it's only one side that's tight.
Disconnect the cables from the rudder and get a helper to slide the
cables one at a time forward and aft.

In my case, the bad factory cable was the one I didn't damage. Given
the chance for factory-installed problems, *I suggest that you look at
both even if they move freely.

Mike

Short of going back to the factory, what do you suggest for a
replacement cable?

Hi Steve

Before you start puling cables out you should try adjusting the
tension. There are turnbuckles near the ruder pedals that can be
adjusted, you might just need to loosen the tension a bit. For
further help may I suggest you contact Jerzy at Windpath, the North
American dealer. Here is a link to his contact info on his web page

http://windpath.ca/common/contactus.asp

Luke