Old November 20th 18, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Playing Chicken With The Birds

You generally can't thermal as slowly as a bird so there is not much of
a problem with hitting them.

I have been attacked by a hawk though it was only a threat and there was
no impact.Â* I did see his talons up close, however.Â* I've also had a
bald eagle acknowledge my presence with a tuck of his wings and an
aileron roll followed by a continuation on his way.

On 11/20/2018 6:07 AM, wrote:
Hi, everyone.

Here in Miami, we have a lot of turkey buzzards. They are VERY good at finding, centering and re-centering thermals. When the lift allows, they will soar (without flapping wings) all the way up into cumulus clouds with 3-4 thousand foot bases.

Because they are so good at the re-centering, I usually soar with them in the same thermal. I try to stay just outside their circle radius so as to (1) not scare them off the thermal and (2) not hit them.

These buzzards are big - almost the size of a turkey and there are often a dozen of them in any given thermal. If we collide it's going to hurt - possibly me, but the glider and the buzzard for sure.

I don't recall reading much in my various glidering books about how to safely soar near the birds, so I'm hoping to find some good advice here.

For example, if I see that I'm on a collision course with a bird and getting close, should I try to turn or dive or climb quickly to avoid it? or should I maintain course or turn away slowly, so as to not confuse the bird regarding my intent?

In short, how does one avoid "playing chicken" with the the birds. :-)

--
Dan, 5J