Old September 24th 06, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
A Lieberma

Default Ron did it!!

"M" wrote in news:1159126950.376577.321490
@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

Now remember, IFR in a light plane can only really safely go in about
20% of the instrument weather mother nature can throw at you.

However, an instrument rated pilot can go in about 40% of the VFR
weather that would have been too risky for a VFR-only pilot to attempt,
due to the the risk of weather closing in being too great.

Really, sure hope you are saying the above "tongue in cheek"???? If
not, where are you getting your statistics as my own personal experiences
sure contradict what you say above???

Since getting my instrument ticket, I have only scrubbed two XC flights
due to thunderstorms in which one was this past friday from the long cold
front pushing through. Where I live, icing is a very rare encounter
(KMBO - Madison MS) though it does happen, just I have not had to scrub a
flight due to icing conditions. Can't speak for the northern folks.

Before my instrument ticket, I can't tell you how many XC flights I have
scrubbed due to benign IMC conditions. One was too many, but if I had to
guess it was between 7 and 10 flights.

Therefore paradoxically, by getting an instrument rating you will find
yourself flying a lot more VFR than you had before :-)

Nope, what happens is that you find yourself flying towards VFR
conditions, by getting on top of the cloud deck. The IA rating gives you
an expanded oppurtunity to getting to visual conditions rather then
having to scud run and the such.

Allen