Old January 2nd 07, 06:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Default Absolute lowest altitude you can fly (legally)

wrote:
Above open water, you can fly as low as you want, as long as you don't
buzz a boat or swimmer, etc.

That was always very frustrating for me when I was flying sea planes.
Even though technically for landing you can get closer our OPs Specs
required us to stay above 500feet w/i 1/2 mile of any person, structure
of vessel. That made it hard sometimes to land. We'd fly final weaving
around to avoid getting close to water skiiers. Sometimes they'd come
right up to us as we're taking off. Very frustrating. On a giant lake
these little skiiers would seek you out. Sometimes, flying between the
canyon walls setting up for landing, you'd come upon a boat sitting
there fishing. Nothing you can do about that.

-Robert