Old March 27th 08, 01:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair

Default One man rigging

I find removal of the wings a little more awkward than assembly and
usually get help if someone is nearby. *On the other hand I have
removed the wings solo with winds gusting over 15kts and been just as
comfortable as if I had used a live helper.

Andy, when de-rigging, I set the wing rigger all the way down then put
it in place on the first wing. I then lift the other wing and put in
the wing stand. I have di-rigged in 20 knot winds (solo), but the
trailer must be in line with the wind and keep the wing horizontal
until you get aligned with the trailer before you rotate to the
vertical...................some have called wing assembly tools, "wing
destroyers", but they have tried to put wings away without aligning
the trailer into the prevailing wind. My rule is simple; Above 10
knots of cross-wind, either re-position the trailer or don't de-rig!
On assembly, I set the fuselage hydraulic jack a tad low, then simply
pump with one foot as I watch the main wing pin holes come into
alignment and help them a tad with my hunk of broom
handle...........slick'er 'en snot!
JJ