Old April 6th 04, 05:30 AM
Hilton

Cecil,

Cecil wrote:
I don't know that I can completely agree with you, I've heard the issue
about hold practice, from grey haired CFI's and regular G.A. pilots,,,,

they
all seem to say the same thing about holds.

Well, it's definitely a YMMV thing. Also, it depends when and where you
fly.

I know what you are saying, but realistically, how many times have have

you
been asked to hold at a towered airport because traffic load was so
prohibitive.

Firstly, that's just one of many scenarios for being asked/told to hold. To
answer your question, I don't know. Definitely more than zero, but not that
often. I've been asked to hold flying into Arcata, was given a hold out
near Modesto, have held at Tracy for the LVK ILS 25R as well as at MARNA
down near MRY. More often though I get a 'visual hold' or a 'vector hold'.
There are some approaches that start with a turn in the hold - check out
Napa - given direct SGD at 4000' cleared for the approach - you basically
fly the hold.

Hilton