Old June 18th 09, 02:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Starer[_2_]

Default UK Air Accidents

In the UK we have a body called the Press Complaints Commission. The PCC's
function is to adjudicate when someone who considers that a newspaper has
broken the Editors' Code of Practice makes a complaint against that
newspaper. This is an extract from the code that covers the kind of poor
reporting that leads to the kind of rubbish some local papers tend to print
about gliding:

i) The Press must take care not to publish inaccurate, misleading or
distorted information, including pictures.

ii) A significant inaccuracy, misleading statement or distortion once
recognised must be corrected, promptly and with due prominence, and - where
appropriate - an apology published.

iii) The Press, whilst free to be partisan, must distinguish clearly between
comment, conjecture and fact.

Raising a complaint with the PCC against a newspaper is simple and
inexpensive; it can consist of as little as a phone call. If the PCC finds
that a newspaper has indeed broken the code, it will instruct the newpaper
to issue an apology and a correction to the original article. While this is
all a voluntary system for newspapers, it does provide a means of putting
pressure on journalists and editors to get their facts right.

Maybe we as glider pilots should be a little more willing to make that phone
call?

"Ian" wrote in message
On 17 June, 14:46, "David Starer" wrote:
If we
insisted on balanced, accurate, and informed reporting maybe we could
start
preventing this kind of ignorant rubbish from appearing in print, along
with
the damage it does to our sport.

There isn't the slightest chance of anybody being able to insist of
"balanced, accurate and informed reporting". Insist to whom? Under
threat of what penalty?

Ian