Old July 7th 05, 01:36 AM
Beav

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net wrote in
message ...
On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 22:22:28 +0100, "Beav"
wrote:

Whadja get Beav?? That Vespa scooter you've been drooling over?

Yeah, but I got it transplanted into a Kawa Z1000 nekkid big bore street
bike:-)

Nice.. I just got back from shopping at the local cycle shop.
Thinking seriously about trading in the SV650 for something a little
more spirited. The GSXR750 was fun and the sales weenie at the Yamaha
place wouldn't let me ride an R1..

I can't live with the race rep riding position, so the R1 wouldn't be for me
anyway, but if you're looking for sometihng a bit more "ooooh" than the SV
650, what about a Triumph Speed Triple? Absolutely astounding bike and oil
leak free to boot.

Get the Raptor 50 (MUCH better) and forget the TT 36. Go for decent 50 (OS
isn't bad)
The 50 flies more like the 60, but costs more like the 30, so it's a
win-win
situation. It's a bit bigger too so it's far easier to see when it's a
safe
distance away from you.

I'll have a look at it.. I've flown nothing but OS and YS engines in
my RC career (planks mostly) and have an OS .15 that's literally been
buried in the mud several times (crashes) and still lights off without
a hitch.

OS are hard to beat, butfunnily enough, hey're not an engine I've had many
of. I currently have a YS 91 in a Futura, but before that I was a dyed in
the wool Rossi man.

Suggestions for an "economical"
computer radio (Don't need servos - got bazillions in all
shapes/sizes) and gyro?

JR 3108 (or 3810 depending on what they've written on the box this week:-)
if you want a lot of features and model memories, or the 378 if you just
want a good reliable radio with enough features to do the job well.

I can't speak highly enough of JR radio's. Never a single failure in over
15
years using them. My current radio is 12 years old and I've no intention
of
changing it (JR PCM 10). There's also that wonderful place called eBay for
2nd hand radio's and I've had MANY a one from there (bought for newbies
who
don't have a lot of cash to spend) and never had a problem with them
either.

I've got a 1992 vintage JR PCM radio in my existing helo (Schluter JR
50 w/OS.46H) but it's proven to be a pain to get the pitch curves set
up.

Why? That's the same radio I use, BUT... something I've not mentioned is
that I use an engine gvernor in ALL my heli's these days. Futaba GV-1 and
Robbe CSC2000's. I prefer the Robbe governors, but the Futaba is exceleent
too, and of course, NO farting about with throttle curves matched to pitch
curves, so getting the pitch in a linear movement is perfect.
With the governor method and your PCM 10, you can have 3 seperate pitch
curves set up in less than 5 minutes.

Probably operator error but something a bit more "modern" would
help me with setup.

Nah, get a gov. A LOT cheaper and a lot more functionality comes from the
radio when you have one.

I reckon if you put a post into rec.models.rc.helicopter asking if anyone
has anything for sale, you'll get plenty of responses, either direct or
with
links to places where you'll get a whole package for a grand.
www.runryder.com is another place to check out too.

I did a lot of lurking there over the past couple nights and have been
visting a lot of web sites for package deals..

I'm not a runryder person and I hate moderated groups, so you're not about
to see me over there. You'll probably run into a few who have some "nice"
things to say about me though:-) Mind you, they're usually the ones who want
everything done for free and "right now" so they're not my kind of people
anyway.

I believe "Horizon" (models or hobbies I can't remember) is "THE" place
over
your side of the puddle, so it might be worth looking at their website
too.

Can't locate that one right off hand. I'll keep digging.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/ That might help

Cheers

Beav (another Kev:-)