Old April 2nd 06, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default PSRU design advantages

"ADK" wrote in message
This is probably going to open old wounds. What I would like is
experienced input on the advantages, for economic, efficiency and
longevity etc. of different types of redrives.

I am leaning towards a cog-belt reducer in a 6 cylinder, liquid cooled,
configuration driving a long drive shaft to the prop.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Warning,Warning, Danger, Danger, Will Robinson!

Yep, that is a really big can of worms.

The redrive is not as big a problem as you think. You get into a mess when
you start talking about long drive shafts.

Torsional resonance has brought many of the great minds of the flying
industry to their knees. No joke. I don't have all of the links at hand,
but someone here does. Start by googling torsional resonance.

Then, be afraid. Be very afraid.
I you don't get afraid, keep looking, until you get afraid, because you need
to get afraid, or you don't understand the problem.
--
Jim in NC