Old July 6th 07, 01:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Default Logger Choice

Hi,

I tested my EW microRecorder with ConnectMe with the baud rate in the EW set
to 4800 and task declarations worked great for me. Make sure you are using
the latest version of ConnectMe, released recently.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

"Kevin Neave" wrote in message
Hi Jamie,

I'm using both an EW Microrecorder and a Colibri (v3.1).
I also use XCSoar and use ConnectMe to upload declarations
to both.

If you are not interested in connectivity with other
equipment, Glide Computer etc then I'd recommend the
EW.
It will run off it's own internal battery so is independant
of any power supply requirements. But in this configuration
it may auto shut-down while waiting for a launch (Timeout
is configurable) and won't supply the PDA with 5v.

The only problem I've had with my EW is that with the
baud rate set to 4800 to match my Garmin, and talk
to the glide computer (ILEC) then the task upload facility
of ConnectMe doesn't work -- So you need a PC to do
the declarations via the USB port.

The Colibri needs an external power supply, but always
talks to ConnectMe regardless of Baud rate.
The Colibri also seems to acquire position and start
producing a navigation output to the PDA quicker.

Download of logger traces is pretty straight forward
for both

Regards

Kevin
At 16:48 05 July 2007, Jamie Denton wrote:
Hi all,
I'm looking to purchase a logger for personal use
and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations?
It won't be fitted to any single glider (I fly club
gliders mainly), so being a self contained unit (inc.
power) is essential. For me the things I care about
*IGC approval (I do fly comps so this is important)
*Battery life and Memory
*Reliability
*Integration with PDA (I use XCSoar)
*Price
*Ease of use

Things I'm not too worried about
*Integration with other equipment (Lnavs/Flarm etc)
*Provided navigation info

At the moment I'm torn between a Collibri V4 and an
EW Microrecorder, has anyone any thoughts?

TIA

Jamie