Old December 6th 17, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

Default Soaring Schools

On Wednesday, December 6, 2017 at 7:09:54 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Wednesday, December 6, 2017 at 12:39:37 AM UTC-5, John Foster wrote:
Is there a general consensus on which schools are regarded as the "best" for glider training? I realize this is difficult to compare, as there are lots of good instructors all over the place, but if someone were interested in taking a block of time off and going somewhere to learn how to fly gliders and get there license to do so privately, where would you recommend?

There are many that can and will do a good job. A very important consideration is where the operation is relative to where you live. A convenient location allows training to be done in depth. If you are looking for concentrated training and licensing you should understand that there will be much more to learn after you complete that first step. Try to find a site where you can fly at least twice a month in order to develop your knowledge and skills in depth.
This is a general answer as your situation and objectives are not clear.
Good luck
UH

Thanks for the replies so far. For me, the closest area that offers glider training is a 3hr drive, two states away. There is one place in state, but it is a 4hr drive--go figure. For me, it would probably work best to schedule a block of time (1-2 weeks), dedicated to training, and get it all done in one shot. It would just not be practical to drive 3hrs one way every week for a 1-2 hr lesson. As such, how far the school is away from me is less of a concern, and I'm more interested in the quality of education than the proximity to me locally.