View Single Post
Old January 22nd 20, 09:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster
external usenet poster

Default Affordable Oxygen

On Wednesday, January 22, 2020 at 1:15:33 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Wednesday, January 22, 2020 at 10:26:40 AM UTC-8, John Foster wrote:
I was given an older MH EDS unit to install in my Phoebus glider which I got for a song and am restoring. The glider has a bracket for the oxygen tank, but no tank is installed. The bottom is a rounded fiberglass cup, and there is a flip bracket to go around the neck. It sits behind the seat pan to the right of the landing gear. The cup measures about 5 1/2" inside diameter, but the felt strip padding inside reduces that somewhat by up to 1/4" or so. The neck bracket is about 16" from where the curve of the bottom cup starts. I THINK (but am not sure) a MH AL647 tank will fit, but it has a flat bottom and I'm not sure how much I far forward I can get the tank in the neck bracket so it will fit, as this tank measures 16 1/2", according the the chart on W&W site. Plus, the tank and a plain regulator will run almost 1/4 the cost of what I paid for the glider. I'm pretty sure I can get a plain D-cylinder to fit, as it is narrower and could fit deeper into the curved cup for the bottom of the tank.

This has gotten me thinking then: is there any reason one couldn't use a standard "yolk-style" primary regulator for the oxygen tank? It would be much more affordable, and easier for me to get one of these style tanks, as I work in the medical field.

On Wednesday, January 22, 2020 at 10:26:40 AM UTC-8, John Foster wrote:
I was given an older MH EDS unit to install in my Phoebus glider which I got for a song and am restoring. The glider has a bracket for the oxygen tank, but no tank is installed. The bottom is a rounded fiberglass cup, and there is a flip bracket to go around the neck. It sits behind the seat pan to the right of the landing gear. The cup measures about 5 1/2" inside diameter, but the felt strip padding inside reduces that somewhat by up to 1/4" or so. The neck bracket is about 16" from where the curve of the bottom cup starts. I THINK (but am not sure) a MH AL647 tank will fit, but it has a flat bottom and I'm not sure how much I far forward I can get the tank in the neck bracket so it will fit, as this tank measures 16 1/2", according the the chart on W&W site. Plus, the tank and a plain regulator will run almost 1/4 the cost of what I paid for the glider. I'm pretty sure I can get a plain D-cylinder to fit, as it is narrower and could fit deeper into the curved cup for the bottom of the tank.

This has gotten me thinking then: is there any reason one couldn't use a standard "yolk-style" primary regulator for the oxygen tank? It would be much more affordable, and easier for me to get one of these style tanks, as I work in the medical field.

Way, way back 22 cf bottles had a rounded bottom that would fit into the cup.

So if I'm hearing everyone correctly, there is no physical reason not to use the yoke style regulator other than how it would fit. There are no significant strength differences or how it behaves at altitude that could be more dangerous with the yoke style regulator. Is that right?