Old August 21st 03, 02:12 AM
Tom Hyslip

Andrew Gideon wrote in message ...

Although the 196 is great, I've recently started to have second
thoughts...The problem with the Garmin is that it ONLY does GPS. However,
the weather this year has started me thinking about in-cockpit weather
updates. If I'd purchased control visions AnywhereMap
(www.controlvision.com), I'd have an upgrade path to the AnywhereWX
product. As it stands now, I'm looking at having to either sell off the
196 and buy AnywhereMap (runs on a PDA), or buy both and have more GPS
than I really
need. Just something to consider...

I've been "considering"...and it's daunting. I'd love opinions from those
that have used them on how the Anywhere compares *as a GPS* to the 196. I
did find:

http://www.anywheremap.com/pdfs/garmin_compare.pdf

but I'd hardly consider that unbiased. I mean, I'm sure it's honest. But
it's easy for them to leave off the aspects where the Garmin would reign.

Plus, I've the general fear of anything running on an MSFT environment
today. Given the news about a power plant infected by the slammer worm,
and some airline that had to do check-ins by hand because another worm took
our their computers, stability and reliability has to be a concern for
something built over Microsoft-CE or whatever those iPAQs are running.

Still, the Anywhere looks like such a nice product.

So...anyone tried both?

- Andrew

If you already have a PDA, such as an IPaq, I would recommend
www.pocketfms.com. It is free moving map GPS for a computer or PDA
with a GPS connection. You can get any GPS you want and connect it
to the PDA, or get one specifically made to connect to the PDA like a
Compact Flash GPS. I have been trying out pocketfms and it works
great, does all the things the Garmin Units do, and its free. Plus the
downloads / updates are free, and it also downloads weather
information prior to a flight if you chose.

Good luck
Tom