Old June 20th 05, 03:38 PM
Michael

There are literally thousands of FAA inspectors in the US. While this
story is sad, to imply that the totality of the FAA is the problem is
as bad a generalization as the one I made earlier.

I do not concur. This story reflects the cases where the affected
parties had the clout to have the Inspector General investigate. It is
revealing that in EVERY case the allegations against the FAA were fully
substantiated. Each stands proxy for hundreds where the victims had no
such clout. I once knew an honest and responsible FAA inspector. He
believed he could change the FAA as well. He didn't last. He also
didn't change it. It can't be done.

The FAA is indeed here to stay. Its airworthiness branch may yet
manage to wreck all of GA, but that's not part of this discussion. The
ops branch (which covers pilot and instructor testing and
certification) is not a major obstruction to flying. It's simply not
of any benefit. The certificate requirements may not be useful or
effective, but they're not onerous either. As long as we all
understand that just because someone is FAA certified to perform a
certain pilot or instructor operation doesn't mean he has the first
clue about it (something the insurance insdustry figured out a long
time ago), we can all use our best judgment and do whatever we feel is
necessary and proper in addition to the (meaningless but trivial) FAA
requirements. You can't fight city hall, but you can go on with your
business and largely ignore it.

You are correct, we have no common ground. I try to be a better pilot
each day and use that to improve the instruction or examinations given.

I too try to be a better pilot and instructor every day, and to
continuously improve the instruction I give. I simply know that the
FAA is no help in this regard, and never will be. Fortunately it's not
much of a hindrance either.

If you really believe as you state, perhaps you should surrender and
turn in your certificates. After all, it is none too safe up there
with those I have trained or evaluated whether in a glider or a Boeing.

Indeed no one is safe up there. Flying is not safe. Never has been,
and never will be. But the risk is worth the reward.

Michael