Old May 9th 15, 01:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Discus/DG-300 performance difference

On Friday, May 8, 2015 at 9:20:38 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Hi All
I'm currently in the market for my first glider and am looking at standard class machines of the Discus/DG-300 era. Having read the Johnson tests and many posts on this forum, I'm a bit confused as to where the touted performance difference comes from though. Dick Johnson found the polars to be near enough to identical and demonstrated so with a figure overlaying them in the DG-300 article. Despite that though, there seems to be a feeling in this forum that the Discus is a superior machine and competition results seem to support that. Given the extremely similar glide performance, is there some other factor which makes the Discus a better performer or are it's superior competition results simply because better/more competitive pilots bought it?

David

I would not discount the ASW-24. Performance is comparable. It requires slightly more technique to get best performance, but goes as well as the DiscusB. It also has a, for the time, break through technology safety cockpit and a real hydraulic wheel brake.
Among all of them the best choice will be decided by trailer, equipment, and condition.
Good luck
UH