Old August 21st 04, 04:47 PM
Peter Gottlieb

"Paul Folbrecht" wrote in message
news
As I was taxiing, I was about to cross 21, then recalled that the ATIS had
called 18 and 21 as active. I stopped, hard, but my nosegear was over the
hold line - in fact my mains were pretty much on the hold line. I think
it's important to note that the controller had not told me to hold short
of 21. If she had, then obviously this would have been a pretty flagrant
violation.

Some people may not like me saying this but I do not agree with the rule
that you are cleared to cross all runways on your way to where you are
taxiing. I think the default should be that they must explicitly tell you
you are cleared to cross ANY runway and when you don't hear that you must
stop and ask (or call and ask as you are approaching it).

I am frequently given instructions which make me cross an active runway
without explicitly saying so and I always ask before doing so and STILL look
out for traffic on it before crossing.