Old December 21st 19, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default trailer sway mitigation TSM

wrote on 12/21/2019 6:39 AM:
Note that Nelson Funston's Trailer Dynamics paper was written in 1987. I would bet that tire technology has changed somewhat in the intervening 32 years. Still, the paper is interesting and informative.

The steel belted radial was well-established in 1987. I've discussed tires,
particularly trailer tires, with Nelson many times since then, including recently
about the specific tires to get for my trailer. He has never mentioned any changes
to tire technology that would affect us, nor have I heard of anything.

Also, there is nothing in his paper that depends directly on tire technology. It's
the lateral stiffness of the tire tread that is important; then and now, radial
tires have significantly more stiffness that a comparable bias ply tire.