Old September 22nd 20, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Colin Roney

Default Refinishing ASW24

I humbly stand corrected! Clearly the `Juice of the Caribbean Gods`is far
superior to a rotten old Scottish Malt Whisky. Sounds like you`ve achieved
the impossible. Well done. I presume the glider is now up for sale.

At 22:20 20 September 2020, wrote:
On Sunday, September 20, 2020 at 4:18:06 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
How about posting some pictures, Bob. Of the '24, not you... :-D=20
=20
Dan
On 9/20/2020 2:09 PM, wrote:=20
On Monday, September 7, 2020 at 5:40:31 PM UTC-4,

=
wrote:=20
I have been working on the horizontal stab and the two elevators for

t=
he past two weeks. I have never seen such difficult gel coat to remove. I
a=
m no rookie at gel coat, have done many boats and a bit of glider repair,
b=
ut this is a beast to remove. It took me six full days to remove the gel
co=
at from the stab. Just today I did one elevator and will do the other
tomor=
row.=20
I am bringing it back up with acrylic urethane, so far so good, just

a=
lot of work and a few drinks of rum. Bob=20
After countless hours of removing gel coat and filling , priming,

sandi=
ng, sanding, sanding and then painting only to sand down, repaint and

sand
=
to 3000, I have finished! The scotch did not budge the gel coat, my
fingers=
need rest, and my spray gun is finally clean again. I spent the last day
b=
uffing and doing a bit of sanding and buffing again. Now comes the fun
part=
, putting it back together so my wife can have her ASW24 back.
--=20
Dan, 5J

Dan, let me see what I can do, Eileen is nagging me to death about not
bein=
g able to fly her 24. Just today she told me that I should re surface the
e=
ntire glider, I need more rum. Bob