Old February 17th 12, 09:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Default New Butterfly Vario

Tom,

I like the movie "The Legend of Bagger Vance" as much as anyone. That scene (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhnZzNWAwSM) where Bobby Jones gives himself a penalty is recreated there. It is a great moment in sport for sure.. I think many pilots in soaring have the same sportsman attitude and would do the same if they did something illegally such as broke cloud base with or without an AH.

Im not exactly sure what you are implying with the email in general to be honest. Let me say this.

I have no intention of cheating or being a bad sport. I dont intend to be a pain in the ass here. I simply wish to argue for a more righteous and simple path in general. I just find the gyro rule inconsistent, very difficult to enforce and strongly question that it is fundamentally safer to mercilessly ban any and all gyro's (smart phones, PNA's, etc) than to just go ahead and allow them.

I really dont feel that I have alot of contest knowledge. If that is what you are implying I agree with you 100%. I dont. I have a fair bit of CC soaring experience. I just really enjoy the sport of soaring, its people and the challenges it offers me at this point. It is a distinct passion. I also care about safety and understand the dangers of flying. I hope to be participating in the sport of soaring for some time. Trying to improve and learn.

As I pilot, an HONEST pilot, I dont like it that I cant have a gyro in my cockpit in contests. The idea of installing, uninstalling and screwing around with yet another problem is generally not attractive to me. I dont want this rule to be changed in order to cheat. I want this rule to be changed mainly out of the hope to be safe. I think it is possible that one day I may find myself in a cloud without any reference. Shame on me, but I think it will happen one day. Again, perhaps I am naive in my belief that this would help me fly straight and level out of IMC if I ever should need it...but gyro's certainly help me in other aircraft when in the clouds.

I personally am amazed that people (Euro's, etc) have learned to cloud fly effectively in a contest environment. I can honestly say that I would NEVER attempt it. Its illegal, crazy, endangers other pilots (power and glider) and would forever destroy the personal reputation of any pilot who is caught doing so. Its sad that that is apparently not true of all pilots.

I appreciate it that you took the time to write your thoughts.

Fly safe.

Best,

Sean