Old December 8th 03, 11:56 PM
W.J. \(Bill\) Dean \(U.K.\).

I agree completely with David Starer about what pupils ought to do, and what
to do about it if they don't.

What I don't understand is why some instructors teach the pupil to pull the
release twice. If it does not release the first time, why should it
release the second? Invariably it does release the first time, but the
pupil delays starting the climbing turn until after the second pull.

The sequence I teach is:

a. Make sure it is safe (collision risk) to turn in the intended
direction.
b. Look ahead at the cable and pull the release.
c. As soon as the cable is seen to release start the climbing turn, and
look again to make sure it is safe to continue the turn.

It is important that the turn is not started with the rope still attached
(this has been known, tug pilots don't like it!).

It is also important that the turn is started as soon as the rope is free,
it is surprising how close the glider sometimes gets to the rope if the
pupil is slow to start the turn.

W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.).
Remove "ic" to reply.

"Giganews" wrote in message

At Dunstable we experimented a few years ago with devices to make the rope
fly higher; useful as we are surrounded by fences, hedges and power wires.
We found that while these worked, they were not nearly tough enough to
withstand being dragged about on the surface of our airfield and were
rapidly destroyed after a few backtracks. As a result we abandoned the
experiment.

The real point about avoiding collisions between the glider and the rope
after release is that the glider MUST make a climbing turn immediately
after the pilot has ascertained that the rope has been released. As an
instructor, I find there is in increasing tendency for students not to do
this, probably because their mind-set is established by winch launching,
where lowering the nose after release is the normal action. When flying
with an aerotow-cleared student for the first time, I work on the
worst-case assumption they will push rather than pull after releasing the
aerotow. I guard the stick as they release and if they don't make an
adequate climbing turn, I take control immediately, make the climbing
turn, and make a mental note to mention this item to the student in the
post-flight debrief. In this case I would insist on a second aerotow in
which I want to see the student demonstrate the correct technique after
release before I sign them off. This might seem harsh but it could be a
life-saver.

David Starer

"W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.)." wrote in message

This sounds like bad news to me, it increases the risk that the rope may
foul the glider after release.

I recall that there was a fatality in New Zealand when the rope had a
funnel close to the end, to stabilise it; it also caused the rope to
ride high. The glider was a Slingsby Dart, and after release the rope
wrapped round a tailplane.

Also, in the U.K. there was a fatality to a Bocian flown solo when the
rope fouled the glider, I am not sure whether this was after release or
due to a bow in the rope.

Anything which might cause the rope to get close to the glider after
release should be avoided.

W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.).
Remove "ic" to reply.

"John Galloway" wrote
in message ...

I have a vague recollection that a while back someone
mentioned in passing that their club used a little
drougue chute near the glider end of the aerotow rope
to fly the rings higher during approach and landing.
Does that ring any bells? If so I would appreciate
some information - or did I just imagine it?