Old February 3rd 06, 05:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting

Default 1 Fatal ...r.a.h or r.a.p?

JJS wrote:

Montblack
I've been around since 1998 - starting in r.a.s.

Wasn't there a gentleman who not too long ago died in the crash of his SQ2000 canard that posted on R.A.H. My memory
fails me but it seems he had installed an Franklin engine? and was having overheating issues. I don't believe he had
much time at all on it.

The SQ2000 guy was flying a rotary (mazda derivative) engine that had
what the rotary community believes was an intermittent fuel supply
program and was in flight test at the time. The aircraft had made one
dead-stick due to what the community assumed was a vapor lock. This was
a fairly low altitude turn back and landing on-field but off-runway.
After some re-work on the fuel system he went up again, and on one of
the subsequent flights weeks later lost power very low, and tried to
make another low turn back to the runway. He ended up in trees.

The rotary powered aircraft community participated in both the NTSB
investigation and afterwards several purchased the airframe from the
widow and did additional information gathering. Nothing definitive was
determined from a cause standpoint, but one of the fuel injectors (which
was used, not new) was found to be faulty from a flow standpoint.

Dave S