Old November 22nd 06, 12:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Default 8710 (maybe a little OT)

Steven Barnes wrote:
I took my commercial ride a couple months ago. I just got a call from my
CFI, that my 8710 got kicked out, because I didn't list "enough" solo time.
I put down 13 hours. I've got way more than that, but 61.129 a.4 said only
10 towards the commercial. 5 night VFR 10 t/o landings etc, & the long X/C.
The callback said they wanted to see 20 hours.
I went back, found 50 hours of solo (only guy in the plane) & they're
re-submitting it. When I questioned the change, the CFI said he was simply
told by the DE that "it's changed/changing". Nice to know, I guess.

PIC time is PIC time. Solo or not. I tend to put comments in my logbook.
Handy for remembering who (if anyone) I had in the plane. Not so handy when
everything in your logbook says, "Joe Schmoe ride" or "took girlfriend to
xyz" & you gotta *prove* so many hours of 'solo'. (also the wife shouldn't
see the "took girlfriend to xyz"....

I'd find at least 20 hours solo time.

Yes, my DE has a web site that lists the requirements along with several
"notes" that appear to be from the FAA, but which I haven't seen
anywhere else. One of the notes specifically addresses your situation
above and says that 20 hours of solo must be recorded to include the 10
hours from the private. I just wasn't sure if I had to attempt to log
all solo I've had or just the minimum for the commercial requirements.
It appears the latter is adequate so that is what I'll do.

I stopped logging solo when I got my private ... one reason being that
the solo column in my log disappeared after so many pages! I wasn't
thinking about a commercial certificate at that time.

Matt